[IPython-dev] Docker IPython

Geoff Oxberry goxberry at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 00:34:34 EDT 2014

In case chiming in matters, I'm vehemently opposed to conda in a base
image, because I think conda would be a great package manager if it didn't
try to do too much (as of Anaconda 1.9, it was also managing Python
version, and managing/creating virtualenvs). If it's in an "extended"
derivative image, that's fine by me. I agree that pip is more standard, and
conda is good for installing things (and only good for installing things).

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Dave Hirschfeld <dave.hirschfeld at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Fernando Perez <fperez.net <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:If you call it scipystack, please put Sympy and nose in as well - a
> long and heated discussion last year settled on a core set of packages
> that distributions describing themselves as shipping the Scipy Stack
> should include:http://www.scipy.org/stackspec.html
> >

> > +1. Let's use the 'scipy stack' term as per the above.
> >

> > I actually would vote for the 'extended' stack, that includes a few
> packages that in the real world lots of people do use/need, like
> sklearn/image. Here's a slightly outdated version of that:
> >

> > https://speakerdeck.com/fperez/pydata-2013-keynote-ipython-and-friends?
> slide=8
> >

> > Today I'd probably drop Mayav/PyTables (too specialized) but add
> Seaborn (lightweight, easy, plays beautifully with pandas).
> >
> > That would make a very compelling image out of the box, with minimal
> additional complexity (while there's extension code in those, none of
> them are harder than scipy itself).
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > f-- Fernando Perez ( <at> fperez_org; http://fperez.org)
>
> PyTables could be handy as it's an optional dependency for pandas which
> IIUC allows you to store pandas objects in hdf5 via the HDFStore which is
> becoming a very common way to store pandas objects.
>
> -Dave

Geoffrey Oxberry, Ph.D., E.I.T.
goxberry at gmail.com