[IPython-dev] Docker IPython

Dave Hirschfeld dave.hirschfeld at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 21:40:56 EDT 2014

Fernando Perez <fperez.net <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl <at> gmail.com>
wrote:If you call it scipystack, please put Sympy and nose in as well - a
long and heated discussion last year settled on a core set of packages
that distributions describing themselves as shipping the Scipy Stack
should include:http://www.scipy.org/stackspec.html

> +1. Let's use the 'scipy stack' term as per the above.
>

> I actually would vote for the 'extended' stack, that includes a few
packages that in the real world lots of people do use/need, like
sklearn/image. Here's a slightly outdated version of that:

> https://speakerdeck.com/fperez/pydata-2013-keynote-ipython-and-friends?
slide=8

> Today I'd probably drop Mayav/PyTables (too specialized) but add
Seaborn (lightweight, easy, plays beautifully with pandas).

> That would make a very compelling image out of the box, with minimal
additional complexity (while there's extension code in those, none of
them are harder than scipy itself).

> Cheers,
>
> f-- Fernando Perez ( <at> fperez_org; http://fperez.org)

PyTables could be handy as it's an optional dependency for pandas which
IIUC allows you to store pandas objects in hdf5 via the HDFStore which is
becoming a very common way to store pandas objects.

-Dave