[IPython-dev] how to deal with really large cell output

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 14:18:17 EDT 2012

On Oct 2, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 2. Oktober 2012, 08:00:56 schrieb Satrajit Ghosh:
>> thanks matthias. for the time being i loaded the notebook in emacs and
>> removed the output from the cell.
>
> Have you tried the Emacs IPython notebook?
> http://tkf.github.com/emacs-ipython-notebook/
>
> It was incredibly straight-forward to setup and use, and finally offers *both*
> the fabulous IPython notebook *and* your favorite code editor.

I'm actually curious how the emacs notebook would have handled that
file. Emacs can handle enormous files with a breeze because it is able
to load the file dynamically (though certain extensions or lines in
.emacs can negate this). I've used it to edit files that are a
gigabyte large, which crashed my best GUI editor. So if it was just an
issue of JavaScript and the browser, perhaps emacs could have fared
better.

Aaron Meurer