[IPython-dev] Easy Installation

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 20:39:18 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> I look forward to seeing this - I think a dead-simple way to get
> started with IPython in the clouds would be really useful.
>
> For bonus points, I'd love to see it integrated with something like
> the terminal forwarding code that pythonanywhere uses. With a shell in
> your browser, you could set up any extra stuff you need without
> needing to set up SSH to your instance.

It's worth pointing out that the starcluster AMIs come preconfigured
with ipython, the entire scipy stack, and will automatically boot up
as an ipython cluster with the notebook running in the head node.  SSH
is also preconfigured, as is file transfer and just about anything
else imaginable.  This is all it takes to configure all this (I choose
a qiime starcluster AMI with the qiime genomics toolkit installed, but
the base starcluster AMIs work the same):

[plugin ipcluster]
setup_class = starcluster.plugins.ipcluster.IPCluster
enable_notebook = true
# If you leave notebook_passwd out, a random password
# will be generated instead.
notebook_passwd = YOUR-PASSWORD

[cluster qiime]
node_image_id = ami-2faa7346
keyname = YOUR-KEY
cluster_size = 4
node_instance_type = m2.4xlarge
plugins = ipcluster

### - end config

You can then boot this cluster by running:

starcluster start -c qiime myqiime

I'm happy to learn of other approaches, but this is about as easy as I
can imagine already...