[IPython-dev] [IPython-User] FOSS sponsorship and tutorial at PyCon

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Jan 12 19:03:34 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 03:46:41PM -0800, Fernando Perez wrote:
> Yes, it's great!  And btw, the sprinting will be mostly in
> collaboration with scikits-learn: at least Olivier Grisel and Jacob
> VanderPlas will be around,

Awesome. I didn't know that Jake would be there. He is a great guy.

I gather that the goal of the sprint would be much more general than the
scikit-learn. A real map-reduce framework using IPython would greatly
profit to the scikit-learn, but also any large scale data processing
application in Python.

By map-reduce, I mean a black box framework that takes mappers, reducers,
and data, and knows how to spread the tasks optimaly on a network given
its topology and the data interdependencies between the tasks. Last time
I discussed with Olivier, I the impression that he had these kinds of
goals in mind for the sprint. He knows these architectures really well.

I won't join you. I really considered going to Pycon this year, but I
travel way to much, and couldn't justify a trip to the US just for that.
However, I am really looking forward to this sprint.

Gaël