[IPython-dev] Help needed: stumped by odd MANIFEST.in/distutils behavior

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Mon Oct 10 17:04:57 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 01:59:12PM -0700, Paul Ivanov wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Gael Varoquaux
> <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> > Hum, I am not sure why. Maybe because I do a sphinx_build for the sdist.
> > If you find out more about what side effects having setuptools in for the
> > sdist does, I am interested.

> See my reply an hour ago

Yes, I got it after recieving this email, which explains my answer, a bit
off.

>- none of the distutils sdist options are available for the setuptools
>version one

That's pretty bad. I am not going to change anything in joblib because I
depend on build_sphinx for releasing, and it will cause the loading of
setuptools anyhow. However, it does seem that sdist should as much as
possible not load setuptools. It seems to me that removing 'sdist' from
the list of keywords triggering setuptools in IPython would be the right
thing to do.