[IPython-dev] Help needed: stumped by odd MANIFEST.in/distutils behavior

Paul Ivanov pivanov314 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 16:59:12 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> Hum, I am not sure why. Maybe because I do a sphinx_build for the sdist.
> If you find out more about what side effects having setuptools in for the
> sdist does, I am interested.

See my reply an hour ago - none of the distutils sdist options are
available for the setuptools version one: Fernando originally was
puzzled by why "sdist --manifest-only" wasn't working - but  it turns
out that once setuptools is imported, none of the following guys are
available:
--template (-t)        name of manifest template file [default: MANIFEST.in]
 --manifest (-m)        name of manifest file [default: MANIFEST]
 --use-defaults         include the default file set in the manifest
                        [default; disable with --no-defaults]
 --no-defaults          don't include the default file set
 --prune                specifically exclude files/directories that should
                        not be distributed (build tree, RCS/CVS dirs, etc.)
                        [default; disable with --no-prune]
 --no-prune             don't automatically exclude anything
 --manifest-only (-o)   just regenerate the manifest and then stop (implies
                        --force-manifest)
 --force-manifest (-f)  forcibly regenerate the manifest and carry on as
                        usual. Deprecated: now the manifest is always
                        regenerated.
 --metadata-check       Ensure that all required elements of meta-data are
                        supplied. Warn if any missing. [default]
 --owner (-u)           Owner name used when creating a tar file [default:
                        current user]
 --group (-g)           Group name used when creating a tar file [default:
                        current group]

--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: