[IPython-dev] Re: [IPython-user] New feature in CVS, testers?

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Mar 18 14:14:30 EST 2005

Ville Vainio wrote:
> (My apologies for spamming the list repeatedly w/ separate mails)
>

>>Tried it now, there is the problem that ipython steals the stdin and
>>stdout by using popen, and as such you don't get interactive feedback
>>from the progress of the command (try 'find /' to see what I mean) and
>>programs that want the full control of the terminal (try 'vi') won't
>>work at all.
>>
>>I wonder whether 'subprocess' module would be helpful here, and whether
>>it can be used w/ ipython due to backwards compatibility reasons.
>

> Of course it's called 'subprocess'
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-subprocess.html
>
> It's also available for older Python versions as separate download I
> think.

OK, this looks very promising, many thanks.  If I can backport it/get it for
2.2, I can just shove it into the distribution of ipython itself.  Thanks for
catching the stdin problems, I shouldn't have sent this after a late night
coding frenzy with a cold :)

I'll work on it this weekend, stay tuned.

Best,