[IPython-dev] Re: [IPython-user] New feature in CVS, testers?

Ville Vainio vivainio at kolumbus.fi
Fri Mar 18 10:42:55 EST 2005

(My apologies for spamming the list repeatedly w/ separate mails)

> Tried it now, there is the problem that ipython steals the stdin and
> stdout by using popen, and as such you don't get interactive feedback
> from the progress of the command (try 'find /' to see what I mean) and
> programs that want the full control of the terminal (try 'vi') won't
> work at all.
>
> I wonder whether 'subprocess' module would be helpful here, and whether
> it can be used w/ ipython due to backwards compatibility reasons.

Of course it's called 'subprocess'
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-subprocess.html

It's also available for older Python versions as separate download I
think.

It might work to create a subprocess.Popen, inheriting stdin from the
current process and capturing stdout and stderr to file-like objects
that both print the output and store it in strings for future
processing.