[Inpycon] Ticket Prices

Sanchit Balchandani balchandani.sanchit at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 15:17:08 EDT 2023

On Sat, Aug 26, 2023 at 1:50 PM Dr. Vijender Kr. Solanki via Inpycon <
inpycon at python.org> wrote:

> Rishav Ji
>
> Pls don't anguish; such a price will make this event an elite-class event
> and only for some. The USP itself is business-oriented instead of common
> for all.

Hi Dr Vijender

I'm not sure on what basis you're suggesting that this is an "elite-class"
event. If you could refer to my email to Rishav, it explains the background
behind the ticket prices in detail. Also, please refrain from saying that
it's a "business-oriented" conference. We are not making any money out of
it. It's a volunteer-driven event and all volunteers are putting a lot of
time into pulling this event together so please don't demotivate them/us.

Secondly, we strongly feel PyCon India is open to all and we did our best
to make it accessible. I didn't see any of your concerns coming when I
posted about choosing JNTUH as the event venue and now you are questioning
why we chose JNTUH over Taj Vivanta. However, I'll still provide the
explanation -

   - Taj Vivanta is a commercial place. Their food costs are around
   2200/per plate/day, and on top of that, they charge rentals for the halls.
   It's clear how much more expensive that would have made our event.
   - We specifically wanted a venue that provided 4 halls. One main hall
   with a capacity for 1000+ attendees, and three others capable of
   accommodating around 300 each, given that we're planning a 4-track event.
   - Other than HICC(Novotel), we found no venues in Hyderabad that matched
   these requirements.
   - After extensive negotiations with HICC, their final quote was a
   significant 80 Lakhs for just the conference days, i.e., 30th Sep and 1st
   Oct.

That's when we realized that, we can not take the risk of raising 80 lakhs
from Sponsors this year and we had to find a venue that came at minimal
cost to us to reduce the overall budget, hence we chose JNTUH. I hope that
clarifies.

P.S. - I'll be publishing our detailed budget sheet after the conference
for transparency.

-
Sanchit