[Inpycon] Is PyCon India "really open"?

Vanitha Shanmugam vani.pree at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 03:29:56 EST 2018

Hi Shashank,

On 14 January 2018 at 01:07, Shashank Kumar <shashankkumarkushwaha at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Vanitha,
>

> On Saturday 13 January 2018 11:31 PM, Vanitha Shanmugam wrote:
> > A few stats below.
> > We, PyCon India volunteers plan publishing date for every blog in the
> > volunteers meeting as it has to go along with website update and other
> > things depending on the blog content. Minutes are shared in the
> > mailing list for all meetings conducted so far this year.
> Sorry, but I couldn't find the schedule for blogs and their deployment.
> Although, I saw a thread regarding issues on the website[0] to which I
> replied accordingly[1] and explicitly created an issue on the github[2]
> which was closed (by Vijay Bung) without any discussion. I couldn't
> understand either but patiently waited to see if the community is
> planning something more efficient for the website.

JFYI, the issue you raised was for the earlier website designed by
volunteers. We decided to work with a vendor to get the website designed
and that was the reason all old issues were closed. The new website design
discussion happened in mailing list and the designs were shared too.

> > Earlier realslimshanky had merged 2 PRs ([0] and [1]) without keeping
> > any updated on the same. The blog [0] went live when we setup PyCon
> > India 2018 website with basic content as the master branch was updated
> > for this. Since this went live well before our planned date
> > unexpectedly when the other required updates were not available on our
> > website, it created chaos as even the core volunteers were not aware
> > of this PR merge.
> Again, I cannot find any guideline regarding how to contribute or the
> time-line contributors have to follow which you are mentioning. I did
> what I can do best for the community, review the PR, comment if any
> change is needed and take it forward for the betterment of blog/website
> as this is what I've been doing since a long time now.

There are no guidelines set as such. I know you are a PyCon India
contributor from 2016. Since you were a part of the core volunteers team or
was part of all the discussions, you were aware of the plans in the
previous years. All that we suggested is to confirm or let other know
before merging code. There is no concern with reviewing PR but the concern
was with merging as others are not getting a chance to review or suggest.
Keep on opening issues for the same feature will not help move website in a
fast pace. Is it not a good practice to follow in any open source
community?

> > That was the reason Vijay suggested him not to merge without having
> > complete info. His intention was not to discourage him from
> > contributing but to do it the right way with proper communication. We
> > are just an email away and it hardly takes a minute to pass on the
> > info and keep everyone updated. I agree that Vijay could have
> > communicated that in a better way and as he mentioned in one of the
> > emails, we will make sure such things will not be repeated.
> I agree with your words that this situation could have been handled in a
> better way. I am the one learning from all of you, even if I have never
> met you in person, so your words, your code, your mails leave a huge
> impact on me and others like me. It's because of you I spend most of my
> time contributing to open source especially that of Python domain. This
> community has given me a lot and I'll leave no loose strings when it
> comes to giving back with the same enthusiasm.

I appreciate your efforts and contributions. Request you to leave this
behind and keep contributing and keep your enthusiasm up always .

Thanks,
Vanitha