[Inpycon] Is PyCon India "really open"?

Shashank Kumar shashankkumarkushwaha at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 14:37:20 EST 2018

Hi Vanitha,

On Saturday 13 January 2018 11:31 PM, Vanitha Shanmugam wrote:
> A few stats below.
> We, PyCon India volunteers plan publishing date for every blog in the
> volunteers meeting as it has to go along with website update and other
> things depending on the blog content. Minutes are shared in the
> mailing list for all meetings conducted so far this year.
Sorry, but I couldn't find the schedule for blogs and their deployment.
Although, I saw a thread regarding issues on the website[0] to which I
replied accordingly[1] and explicitly created an issue on the github[2]
which was closed (by Vijay Bung) without any discussion. I couldn't
understand either but patiently waited to see if the community is
planning something more efficient for the website.

> Earlier realslimshanky had merged 2 PRs ([0] and [1]) without keeping
> any updated on the same. The blog [0] went live when we setup PyCon
> India 2018 website with basic content as the master branch was updated
> for this. Since this went live well before our planned date
> unexpectedly when the other required updates were not available on our
> website, it created chaos as even the core volunteers were not aware
> of this PR merge.
Again, I cannot find any guideline regarding how to contribute or the
time-line contributors have to follow which you are mentioning. I did
what I can do best for the community, review the PR, comment if any
change is needed and take it forward for the betterment of blog/website
as this is what I've been doing since a long time now.

> That was the reason Vijay suggested him not to merge without having
> complete info. His intention was not to discourage him from
> contributing but to do it the right way with proper communication. We
> are just an email away and it hardly takes a minute to pass on the
> info and keep everyone updated. I agree that Vijay could have
> communicated that in a better way and as he mentioned in one of the
> emails, we will make sure such things will not be repeated.
I agree with your words that this situation could have been handled in a
better way. I am the one learning from all of you, even if I have never
met you in person, so your words, your code, your mails leave a huge
impact on me and others like me. It's because of you I spend most of my
time contributing to open source especially that of Python domain. This
community has given me a lot and I'll leave no loose strings when it
comes to giving back with the same enthusiasm.

Now, I wonder what if this was my first encounter with the community. As
this could have been for any person looking to start their journey in
open source. They would never have mailed to the list, maybe never have
looked back again. We all would never know of losing a potential volunteer.

[0] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/inpycon/2017-November/011362.html
[1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/inpycon/2017-November/011374.html
[2] https://github.com/pythonindia/inpycon2018/issues/4

Regards