[Inpycon] PyCon India 2018 | Suggestions for Keynote speakers

Pulkit Goyal 7895pulkit at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 06:23:56 EDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 12:13 AM, Ramanathan Ramakrishnamoorthy <
ramanathanhari at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As most of you would aware,  PyCon India is happening in Hyderabad on
> October 5-9, 2018   We have one confirmed keynote speaker (Travis Oliphant)
> who we had invited as part of planning for PyCon Hyderabad.  We reached out
> to him about the change in plans, and he has confirmed his availability for
> PyCon India 2018.
>
> On the other hand, Nick Coughlan has backed due to some personal reasons.
> As part of the event, we intend to have four Keynote speakers which means
> we need to identify three more keynote speakers.

​Having 4 keynote speakers instead of 3 will be great! ​​

> We request the community to provide suggestions for Keynote speakers.
> Based on popular ask, we can reach out to the speakers requesting them to
> Keynote.

​I think we should decide on what we want out of a keynote speaker. For
example, do we want a core CPython contributor to help attendees get
motivated towards contributing to CPython, or we want someone from PyPy
team to so that attendees can learn about PyPy etc. Just because we can
call someone, or someone is a good speaker, we should not call them. I
agree that we can't get everything we decide but that will be a good step.

For example: PyCon Pune keynote speakers were CPython devs and that
motivated and helped people to contribute to CPython.

Moreover I have seen instances when big companies like Google, Fb,
Instagram become a major sponsor for the event and they gets a keynote
slot. I think this is also worth giving a thought.

> Thanks,
> Ramanathan.

​Regards
Pulkit​