[Inpycon] Venue for PyCon India 2018

vijay kumar vnbang2003 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 13:10:05 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 10:33 PM, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>
wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 04 2017, vijay kumar wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Just a few pointers for PyCon India 2018. We are planning to get minimum
> 6
> > keynote speakers from outside India, adding few new things like Kids
> track,
> > startup rows, etc., also its a 3 day conference this year. Last year we
> had
> > regular ticket for Rs.*1500* for 2 days conference. Even going with last
> > year's price, to increase a day, we have to increase the cost by 750
> which
> > is *2350*. I have no idea what we are debating here. Quality comes with
> > cost.
>
> I'm personally okay with setting a price tag of 3500 if it reduces
> dependency on sponsors and if it can get us a good venue. I don't mind
> if the cost is reduced participation. There are several PyCons happening
> in India now and all of them are quite good. If a 3.5k cost once a year
> is too much, well, that's that. I've generally been unsuccessfully
> pushing for sacrificing audience and talk quantity for quality. It's not
> a well received idea but I think this is a step in that direction and
> while it might not be correct, it's atleast a worthwhile experiment.
>
> However, I'm quite against doing the conference on a weekday. Organising
> travel, taking days off etc. are all complex and it would put a lot of
> otherwise interested people off. Workshops and such are special interest
> and low participation anyway so putting those on weekdays might be
> okay. The main conference which is when everyone hangs out and chats
> etc. should, in my opinion, be on a weekend.
>
> Doing dev sprint at end of conference helping volunteer to participatate
in dev sprint.
If we let everyone know 8 months before it really not complex  to plan.

> I think it's perfectly fine to axe things like an extra day, the kids
> track etc. if it means we can reduce the size and do it at a venue which
> is available during a weekend.

We didn't choose BIEC for kids track , It was chosen purely based on
infrastructre and cost  it comes with.

> > This is *10th YEAR* and we want to take PyCon India to next
> > level. Request everyone to give us time and space to plan things.
>
> The "us" are people on this list unless there's something else going on
> that I'm not aware of.

While all the people here might not be able to
> participate on the ground, I think most of the opinions and discussions
> are valid and useful.
>
> > Also, to answer on the venue, we considered multiple venues which were
> > suggested in this thread as well. Most of the venues have only one big
> > conference room which does not fit our requirement. The bigger venues
> > are costing us more than BIEC. We have considered everything before
> > concluding on BIEC and all the pointers were already provided in this
> > thread earlier.
>
> Perhaps it's time to reconsider them then since the cost of using BIEC
> is that we'll have to do the conference on a weekday.

BIEC is available on weekend also.(August 20-29)
We have already explained reason why we want to experiemnt on weekdays.

> [...]
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Noufal