[Inpycon] [PyCon India 2015] CFP status

Kracekumar Ramaraju me at kracekumar.com
Mon Jun 22 16:22:21 CEST 2015

On Jun 22, 2015 16:08, "Anand Chitipothu" <anandology at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Kracekumar Ramaraju <me at kracekumar.com>
wrote:

>> Past speaking experience shouldn't be only criteria, last year we had
instances where proposer didn't submit the content till last week.

> Are you saying that past speaking experience is considered, but that is
not  the only criteria?

>> It should be based on the content, place holder for examples are
acceptable. The broader point is to have the content appealable to reviewer
and proposer can keep on refining the content.

> I think you can ask for an outline, but asking for whole content before
accepting the proposal is probably too much. That'll give incentive for
people repeating a talk given elsewhere than people trying to propose a
completely new idea.

>> It is pure meritocracy and level playground.
>
> How do you know if the person is a good speaker, has public speaking
skills? Someone can write a beautiful proposal, but fail miserably on
stage. Thats why it is important to look at past videos if available.

What if someone can speak beautifully without any content ? At times people
got a chance for various reasons like no other talk is available, some one
turned down opportunity at last moment. I am discarding anyone's effort
here. Also, if they have previously spoken that doesn't guarantee they are
good at speaking.

Remember, everybody was a first timer one day. If you keep giving
preference to experienced ones, new comers with right content and knowledge
will never get a chance. The current guidelines doesn't favour new comers
also. It is based on the content.

Any one who is submitting talk should have equal chance of getting on to
stage. PyCon India should be inclusive.

To be honest heavily down voted talks had poor content.

Last year one of the well received talk was from a first timer. Also there
was average feedback for repeated speakers too.