[Inpycon] [PyCon India 2015] CFP status

Kracekumar Ramaraju me at kracekumar.com
Mon Jun 22 16:22:21 CEST 2015

On Jun 22, 2015 16:48, "Anuvrat Parashar" <anuvrat at anuvrat.in> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Kracekumar Ramaraju <me at kracekumar.com>
wrote:

>>> Past speaking experience shouldn't be only criteria, last year we had
instances where proposer didn't submit the content till last week.

>> Are you saying that past speaking experience is considered, but that is
not  the only criteria?

>>> It should be based on the content, place holder for examples are
acceptable. The broader point is to have the content appealable to reviewer
and proposer can keep on refining the content.

>> I think you can ask for an outline, but asking for whole content before
accepting the proposal is probably too much. That'll give incentive for
people repeating a talk given elsewhere than people trying to propose a
completely new idea.

>>> It is pure meritocracy and level playground.
>>
>> How do you know if the person is a good speaker, has public speaking
skills? Someone can write a beautiful proposal, but fail miserably on
stage. Thats why it is important to look at past videos if available.

> Very true. Writing and Speaking are two very different skill sets.
> IMO, theatrics should take precedence over subject matter.

If theatrics is the factor, we need to do invite only conference.

> Would we rather have a great programmer but extremely boring speaker on
the stage who puts everyone to sleep?
> OR
> An average programmer possessing the rare ability to effectively and
interactively communicate with the audience?

> This year, lets not have even one person who gets up on the stage and
"reads off their slides" as 6-th grader, bluntly ignoring their years of
service to the community.

Again, I am stressing this, you're creating reservation system by this
approach. If content is good they will any way get the chance. I don't see
any way we're hindering repeated speakers by this approach.

People can rehearse talks in front of the user group meetup/company
internal talks.