[Inpycon] Bringing tickets to the venue

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 12:14:22 CEST 2011

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:

[...]

> With a ticket you have to check that the person is asking for the size
> they requested on registration. But its easier to produce 25% more
> shirts than needed so you don't have to worry about the exact size
> mix. After the conference you can either given them away to volunteers
> or pass them on to local/regional user groups for use as prizes.

I think we did budget some excesses last year but a lot of people I know
didn't get the right sizes including some of the organisers who were
busy making the conference work rather than collecting their swag. That
was totally uncool.

[...]

> It *really* helps to get things organized in advance. I am copying
> this message to Mary Rush (via her husband Jeff, who is a PSF
> director). Mary has been the mainstay (overlord, tyrant, you name it:
> her title changes annually, often several times - she can explain) of
> the PyCon US registration desk since PyCon went to Texas, and will
> probably have useful advice if you choose to listen.

All advice is valued. During the past two years, we have had a rather
nasty rush at about 10:00 am or so which is when most of the people
showed up.

Any advice that can smoothen this is highly welcome. Sree and his little
army did a wonderful job but the process was suboptimal. Just splitting
the registration and the "swag claim" desks would be a good start I
think.

> I have just been to OSCON. In order to persuade the people at the
> "Conference Materials" counter to hand over my conference bag
> (complete with magazines, sponsor inserts and the like) all I had to
> do was show them my name tag. With staff shift changes I could almost
> certainly have collected three to five bags in the course of my visits
> had I chosen to.
>
> Generally it's cheaper to assume no fraud that cater to preventing
> what little fraud may take place. It'a also a better community ethic:
> if someone is so keen to go to PyCon that they will lie, steal and/or
> cheat to get htere, do we really want to deny them the experience?

I'm more of a draconian discliplinarian than you on this point but my
main complaint is that the people who really do work their asses off for
the even and come with genuine good intentions don't get what's
rightfully theirs.

[...]

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in

Why don't you pair `em up in threes? -Yogi Berra