[Inpycon] Setting up the web site for Pycon 2010 {was Website Setup}

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Thu Apr 22 10:02:10 CEST 2010

On Thursday 22 Apr 2010 12:56:08 pm Ramdas S wrote:
> All,
>
> Now that there's May 1 deadline. Can we start working on the site.
>
> I will be happy to chip in. I can write and fix code for apprxo 8-10 hours
> over  next 10 days.

here is what needs to be done:

1. current code is at http://bitbucket.org/lawgon/fossconf/

2. new repo to be set up for pycon 2010 specific code either in bitbucket or
git

3. code to be upgraded to svn trunk (basically adding the csrf_token stuff

4. site to be set up on server with some url

5. although fossconf does have facilities for static pages, it is not really
meant for front ending a conference. So a wiki or something to be set up with
the few static pages we need for the next few months - announcement of the
conference, dates, venue and call for papers. Css to be developed for this
wiki and said css to be integrated with fossconf

6. Registration will open sometime in june/july I presume. By then bank
account, PAN number and ccavenue account to be created - these are not
programming tasks, so I will do them

7. Integration of ccavenue payment with the registration module - code is
ready at http://bitbucket.org/lawgon/certificate/ and just needs to be copy
pasted to the fossconf code. (ccavenue provides a php script for integration
to their gateway, but I had ported it to python back in 2004)

8. Decision to be taken on mode of review of papers and selection - last time
it was done publicly with public review and comments, if this is changed, then
the decorator on those views needs to be altered.

9. the scheduling part is not on the menu - it needs to be there and people
who would do the scheduling need to practice a bit on it

there may be one or two things I have missed. As far as I am concerned I am
committed to doing the legal and financial stuff but certainly am not going to
adhere to silly deadlines like getting online payment ready by May 1st when we
are only going to need it 2-3 months later. Anyway we need online payment for
society membership and donations and all I can say is: it will be done as soon
as possible.

And I can further emphasise that in a volunteer driven environment, there are
ways to get volunteers and ways to drive them away also. To tell someone -
either do it your way and do it perfectly before such and such a date, or else
I will do it my way, will result in all the volunteers opting out and and all
the work landing on on or two people.

And saying last time there were problems with the software, so this time we do
not need it is like saying last time the tee shirt was printed wrongly so this
time we will not have tee shirts.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves