[Inpycon] PyCon 2010 - Let's get started

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 09:56:53 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Saju Pillai <srp at ideadevice.com> wrote:
> > Noufal Ibrahim wrote:

> >> It's a decision to be made based on practical concerns. I don't think
> >> a popularity contest is the right way to go for this.
> >
> > Choosing a location preferred by the largest number of delegates is a
> > practical fact you can feed into the decision process.[..]
>
> We don't have any delegates as of now and I don't think you're going
> to get many votes either way.  What are the pros and cons? That would
> be a better starting point IMHO

 Let me contribute my $0.01.

 Pros

 1. Large amount of student participation from Chennai seen in
 Pycon #1 last year which we expect to increase this year.
 2. Python interest seems to be taking off in Chennai. I daresay
 in Bangalore the interest curve is kind of flat. So I expect more
 interest especially from students for Pycon #2.
 3. An active Python community which interfaces well with
  BangPypers.
 4. I guess Kenneth can play a more active role for a Chennai
based event since he keeps visiting the city frequently.

 Cons

1. Small sponsors who are based in Bangalore may not be
interested in a Chennai based event. But again this could
be wrong.
2. Co-ordination could be a problem since all the co-ordinators
of last year including Noufal are from Bangalore.
3. I guess participation from North India could get affected due
 to this due to increased travel and the weather problem.

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in

--Anand