[Inpycon] FOSS PyCon (was Re: Post Conference analysis about the performance and future plan)

Ramdas S ramdaz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 22:51:53 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Gora Mohanty <gora at srijan.in> wrote:
> [..]
> > My bottom line is based around two points: (a) My commitment, and
> > of people that I know, is based around volunteering for a FOSS
> > conference. I very seriously believe in *not* volunteering my
> > time for a non-FOSS event, for reasons I am not immediately
> > discussing. (b) If (a) is acceptable, we can provide a home for
> > a FOSS Pycon event in Delhi/NCR, with help in local organisation.
> > My hope would be to merge it with Freed.in (http://freed.in) this
> > coming Feb., but that is open to discussion.
> >
> > Please do let me know if this sounds workable, and let us discuss
> > how people could be involved. Please also understand that I will
> > also need a confirmation from local organisers. At this point, we
> > are just kicking the idea around.
> [..]
>
> If there are sufficient people who want a pure FOSS PyCon, I think you
> should go for it.
> I myself incline towards FOSS but I wouldn't enforce a FOSS only
> clause at a PyCon that I was involved in organising. Also, if this is
> to be *the* official PyCon India 2010, I wouldn't be in support of the
> idea myself.

Yes. I second Noufal there. I think we took a call to have the next Pycon
India in Bangalore, with satellite events in other cities.

Second FOSS is more a philosophy, concept and Python is a programming
language used by the masses irrespective of their own inclinations, choice
to share code or to even licence their code

> One thing that I can foresee is difficultly in arranging sponsors.
> You'd have to consider other sources of funding.

If you guys can actually plan this as a track within Freed.in, then I think
fund worries can be mostly resolved.

Most importantly I think we need to go beyond our own conferences, and work
with as many similarly themed conferences (such as foss.in, freed, or some
other developer event), and spread word that Python is rocking....

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in

Ramdas S