[Idle-dev] fix indentation and find non-ascii

Sean Felipe Wolfe ether.joe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 06:10:58 CET 2014

Hey everybody,

I was working with a new programmer today and ran into a couple issues
which I'd love to see IDLE be able to address:

1) non-asciii charcters: Strip all non-ascii characters. I've found
copy/paste on sample code from a website, sometimes picks up spurious
non-ascii bits. It would be great to have a pull-down menu function
which forces the script to save only ascii and discard the rest.

Maybe there is already a way to do this?

2) Fix indentation: it would be great to have the equivalent of vim's
"gg=G" sequence to automatically fix indentation issues. I thought we
had this already actually? But digging through the menus I didn't see
anything.

Whaddya think?

--
A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.