[Idle-dev] picking up some IDLE bugs

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Mar 6 00:48:16 CET 2014

On 3/5/2014 4:40 PM, Sean Felipe Wolfe wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi.

> I'm setting aside some time each week to pick up some issues from the
> queue and help out.I thought I'd start by working some issues that
> need testing. Good news is, I have access to osx, linux and windows 7
> as well, so I should be able to provide a broad testing environment.

That will be helpful.

> I'm wondering, as new features are developed, tested, and approved,
> which release do they end up in for implementation? Do new features
> always go to the next pending release ... which as of now is 3.4, yes?

New features go into the next version that is still in the alpha stages.
Once the first beta is released, that is it for that version. So 'as of
now' is now 3.5. But Idle has a special rule. See PEP434
http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0434/

> I'm getting started with this one:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue694339  IDLE: Dedenting with Shift+Tab

I did not know that <Tab> worked to indent a region, and agree with the
others that <Shift-Tab>, commonly interpreted as 'backtab' should then
do the opposite. I do not know Tk events well enough to understand Roger
Serwy's comment, so I do not know how easy it would be to revise the patch.

> Seems like a useful feature and I've wanted it myself for a while.

That is a 'little' feature that would fall under the PEP.

> Second question -- how do we determine when an issue has sufficient
> testing and is ready for release?

That is ultimately decided by a core developer with repository push
priviliges (subject to possible rollback, which is very rare). The
amount of testing I would want depends on the issue. For a keybinding
issue like this, I would like testing on all 3 systems before pushing.
For internal logic that should be system independent, my own machine
should be enough -- especially with a automated test that runs on the
buildbots.

> Do we discuss it here or on the bug
> tracker and take it on a case by case basis?

Issue tracker, on a case-by-case basis. I would like to see more
'idle-ideas' discussion here, though more practical than some of the
discussion on python-ideas list. Such discussion should if there is
sufficient support for an idea before posting it to the tracker and turn
vague ideas into a concrete proposals that could actually be implemented
in a patch.

> Also, would it be ok to add a 'test-windows' type keyword to issues
> which are waiting for a windows test? Does keywords act as a 'tag'
> type functionality?

Since I am on Windows, osx testing is more of an issue now.

--
Terry Jan Reedy