[Idle-dev] IDLE Tiled

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 21:18:09 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com>wrote:

> On 04 Oct, 2010,at 03:32 PM, Tal Einat <taleinat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>
>> The IDLE version distributed with 2.7 will only get bug fixes, if that.
>> The IDLE distributed with 3.2 could be upgraded. The main issue is that some
>> Linux distribution have not upgraded tdl/tk from 8.4 to 8.5 (with ttk). The
>> question then is whether it is OK for IDLE require either 8.5 (with ttk) or
>> separate upload of the tile extension. My opinion is yes. But I am dubious
>> that this will happen before 3.2 goes in beta phase (bugfix patches only).
>>

> Perhaps we should aim for Python 3.3 and push for that version to require
> version 8.5 of tcl/tk? Has requiring version 8.5 been discussed already
> (perhaps on Python-dev)?
>

> There is another issue w.r.t. requiring Tk 8.5: OSX 10.5 and earlier ship
> with Tcl/Tk 8.4, Tk 8.5 support is only included in OSX 10.6.
>
> The binary installers for OSX do not include a copy of Tk to keep the size
> down, these installers too large enough as it is.  I don't know if it is
> possible to use ttk with Tcl/Tk 8.4, if it is I wouldn't mind shipping ttk
> as part of the binary installers on OSX.
>
> Ronald

+1 that the OSX binary should include tcl/tk 8.5 so that Tkinter and IDLE
can work out of the box, regardless of what is otherwise installed. That's
how it works on Windows and I can't think of a reason for this to be
different on OSX. I'm pretty sure have things just work trumps making the
binary installer smaller.

Anyone who wants to install Python otherwise (e.g. compile from source or
use aptitude/macports/etc.) will have deal with dependencies, and Python
should require tcl/tk 8.5 from 3.3 onwards. This dependency should be stated
explicitly where appropriate.

- Tal