[Idle-dev] IDLE Tiled

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Oct 4 16:34:29 CEST 2010

On 04 Oct, 2010,at 03:32 PM, Tal Einat <taleinat at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
The IDLE version distributed with 2.7 will only get bug fixes, if that. The IDLE distributed with 3.2 could be upgraded. The main issue is that some Linux distribution have not upgraded tdl/tk from 8.4 to 8.5 (with ttk). The question then is whether it is OK for IDLE require either 8.5 (with ttk) or separate upload of the tile extension. My opinion is yes. But I am dubious that this will happen before 3.2 goes in beta phase (bugfix patches only).

Perhaps we should aim for Python 3.3 and push for that version to require version 8.5 of tcl/tk? Has requiring version 8.5 been discussed already (perhaps on Python-dev)?

There is another issue w.r.t requiring Tk 8.5: OSX 10.5 and earlier ship with Tcl/Tk 8.4, Tk 8.5 support is only included in OSX 10.6.

The binary installers for OSX do not include a copy of Tk to keep the size down, these installers too large enough as it is.  I don't know if it is possible to use ttk with Tcl/Tk 84, if it is I wouldn't mind shipping ttk as part of the binary installers on OSX.

Ronald