[Idle-dev] Rework when IDLE opens editor and/or shell windows

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Jul 21 16:58:01 CEST 2010

On 7/21/10 6:08 AM, Tal Einat wrote:

> The "editor-on-startup" config option should be removed. Running IDLE
> without arguments should open a shell. If IDLE is asked to open any
> files for editing, it should open just editor windows. IDLE should
> open both a shell window and one or more editor windows only when
> explicitly asked to do so on the command line.
>
> If this is done, the -e option ("open an editor") would tell IDLE to
> open an empty editor window if no files are asked to be opened for
> editing. If no other arguments are given, IDLE will open just an
> editor window (no shell window). The -i option ("open a shell") would
> tell IDLE to open a shell window even if asked to open files for
> editing.
>
> I think this is more obvious and easier to work with. It will also
> make the command line argument processing code simpler. And as a bonus
> we remove a config option :)

I'm not sure if I agree with this or not, but it appears to me that this
proposal is mostly relevant for X11-based systems. On the Mac I open
IDLE by double-clicking its app icon, not from the terminal; it appears
that IDLE opens a shell by default in this context and opens both the
shell and any files that are dropped on the app icon. I'm also not sure
how IDLE works on Windows in this regard. Comments?

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin