[Idle-dev] Rework when IDLE opens editor and/or shell windows

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 12:08:03 CEST 2010

I'd like to hear some comments on my thinking regarding this.

I started thinking about this thanks to
http://bugs.python.org/issue6698. Here is my last comment on that
issue:

After looking through the code and experimenting a bit, I propose the following:

The "editor-on-startup" config option should be removed. Running IDLE
without arguments should open a shell. If IDLE is asked to open any
files for editing, it should open just editor windows. IDLE should
open both a shell window and one or more editor windows only when
explicitly asked to do so on the command line.

If this is done, the -e option ("open an editor") would tell IDLE to
open an empty editor window if no files are asked to be opened for
editing. If no other arguments are given, IDLE will open just an
editor window (no shell window). The -i option ("open a shell") would
tell IDLE to open a shell window even if asked to open files for
editing.

I think this is more obvious and easier to work with. It will also
make the command line argument processing code simpler. And as a bonus
we remove a config option :)

Thoughts? Comments? If there is agreement I will work up a patch.