[Idle-dev] Newbie Question

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 18:23:43 CET 2006

On 12/27/06, Saul Spatz <sspatz at kcnet.com> wrote:

> I am rather new to both python and IDLE.  The references to IDLE at
> www.python.org seem sadly out-of-date.  I have a couple of simple
> enhancements I would like to make to IDLE that are not likely to be of
> general interest.  (I want to use IDLE in teaching, and I want to save
> the sessions, both user input and IDLE output.  I would like IDLE to
> remember where I saved the last session and default to that directory,
> and I would like it to prompt me if I close the IDLE window without
> having saved the session.)   It seems like these should be easy to
> program, but I can't find the IDLE source.
>
> Where is it, please?  I assume that I am allowed modify it just for my
> own use.

Overcourse you may.

IDLE is written in Python, so you can simply edit its code, wherever your
Python installation is.
Just look in \Lib\idlelib\.
(For instance, on Windows: C:\Python25\Lib\idlelib\)

In addition, IDLE's source is in Python's SVN:
http://www.python.org/dev/faq#subversion-svn
(here too, look under Lib\idlelib\.)

In addition, we'd be glad to hear any about any features you find missing or
suggestions for improvement regarding IDLE.

Good luck!

- Tal