[Idle-dev] Slow close?

Stephen M. Gava elguavas@users.sourceforge.net
25 Feb 2002 14:32:17 +1100

Bruce Sherwood wrote:
> I too have been running Gnome/Sawfish on Linux. However, on the Mac where I
> also see slow closes I'm running raw X with the Oroborus window manager,
> not a Gnome or KDE environment. I'm using a "rootless" window manager,
> which means that windows appear as X windows on top of the Mac OSX graphics
> environment. (I have just begun to use Mac OSX, so I could be confused
> about my situation.)
>
> Note that it is only Idle that shows the problem. Other programs close
> instantly. And on Red Hat Linux I believe that many of those fast-closing
> programs are in fact Python-based (Python 1.5), presumably with tkinter.
> Odd. And definitely annoying.

Yes, I also find that although idle displays this problem here I run
quite a few other tkinter apps with no problem on closing windows.

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> I used to observe this on Grail using FVWM2, so while it may be
> specific to particular window managers, it may be more due to the
> preferred approaches to closing windows and ICCCM conformance.

Hmmm. Well window managers under both Gnome and KDE are meant to abide
by this 'common window manager spec.' they have, for window hints etc.
(under Gnome you can use a variety of window managers, although most
linux distros include sawfish by default, and the 'gnome compliant'
window managers tend to only load their gnome comliance modules/code
when they detect they are running under gnome; under kde 2+ the window
manager tends to be the kde default kwm because it is so integrated into
the environment), so maybe it could be something along these lines Fred.
I have no idea about the X on Aqua situation though.

Stephen.
--
Stephen M. Gava  <elguavas@users.sourceforge.net>
IDLEfork ( http://idlefork.sourceforge.net )  " just like IDLE, only