[Idle-dev] IDLEfork / Docs / Startup etc.

StephenM.Gava StephenM.Gava
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:56:26 +1000

Whoa, be offline for a couple of days and come back to a flurry of idle-dev
mail. 8^)

For starters:

Guido Wrote:
> I believe Stephen is still working on the configuration dialogs.

Yes, I am. The beginnings of this work have been in idlefork cvs for a while
now, and I've been making minor commits from time to time when I get the
chance. I think I'm finally able to be able to spend some 'quality time'
again on this (famous last words) so it should begin moving along more
quickly again. When this is done I'll make another point release tarball for
people to hammer on and find all the inevitable bugs.

The things I'd like to see finished or done in idlefork before its next
stable release (and possible mergeing into python idle) are, mainly: gui user
configurability and properly working debugging.

On the subject of debugging, I had previously thought that it was something
we had broken a little somehow in the process of merging in the last couple
of years of changes and bug fixes from stable idle, but it appears that may
not be the case. Can anybody tell me, was debugging ever working as expected
since the initial VPython changes in idle fork?  Can anyone who contributed
to those changes (David?) let me know where to start looking at getting it
working again, or is this problem an unavoidable result of the current remote
execution impementation?

Both the documentation lookup and startup behaviour issues should be
mitigated by the idle configuration system changes. As well as having a
command line switch to specify startup behaviour, the user's preferred style
of idle startup will also be able to be saved as a configuration item. As for
help documentation: if pressing the "F1" (or configured help) key is to
retain it's sensible common meaning of "help on using this application" then
I believe it should by default pop up help on using idle itself (and the
python documentation could be on shift-F1 for instance), but on the subject
of help files, following an earlier suggestion by Guido I have begun
implementing user configurable help sources. This would mean that the user
can configure whatever additional help files they wish, and they will appear
on the idle help menu for launching form there.

The VPython folks should be able to just distribute a modified
'configuration defaults' file with their idle to enable their preferred
startup behaviour and additional help source(s) by default.

Stephen.
--
Stephen M. Gava  <elguavas@users.sourceforge.net>
IDLEfork ( http://idlefork.sourceforge.net )  " just like IDLE, only crunchy "