[Idle-dev] Making changes to IDLE

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:31:12 -0400 (EDT)

jacco.vonk writes:
 > Ok Fred. I assumed that IDLE being open-source the development of IDLE would
 > be open-source also - ie. the Linux/Linus Torvald's approach of accepting
 > patches and releasing new versions of the code every day (if required). I

Jacco,
  I thought that's what I described... if I was unclear, I apologize.
IDLE is covered by the Python license, and we're not changing that.
Patches posted to the list will be considered for inclusion in future
versions.  For now, this would require the tedious legalese (see
http://www.python.org/patches/ for details), but that's the same as
everything else in Python.
  Now, I don't expect we'll be releasing new versions on a daily
basis, but the CVS repository is always available.  Python has always
had very conservative release policies.  On the other hand, we're
about to go "beta" with the next version of Python, which will include
IDLE as it exists at the time.  So this is an excellent time to send
patches; this list is simply the right forum for them.
  If a patch fixes an outright bug, it can also be provided through
the bugs database at http://www.python.org/python-bugs/, but feature
requests and patches in development can be discussed here, since this
is the IDLE developers' forum.
  If I've confused things further, I apologize; IDLE is indeed open
source.  If you have any questions about how we deal with patches and
releases, please don't hesitate to ask.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>