[Idle-dev] Making changes to IDLE

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:45:56 -0400

>Ok Fred. I assumed that IDLE being open-source the development of IDLE
would
>be open-source also - ie. the Linux/Linus Torvald's approach of accepting
>patches and releasing new versions of the code every day (if required). I
>think IDLE could benefit a lot from this approach, but I suppose it's up to
>PythonLabs.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that IDLE isn't an open source
development project.  We may not be making daily releases of new versions,
but the CVS repository is accessible.  We also welcome patches.  Big patches
may take a long time for us to integrate, because we are busy working on
Python 1.6.  (You may know that Linux kernel releases are similarly delayed
with Linus is away or working on other things.)

Jeremy