[Idle-dev] IDLE and Jython

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:14:14 -0500 (EST)

Glyph Lefkowitz writes:
 > However, a good indication of how "well-engineered" it is: under X
 > (presumnably the native engineering environment for Sun people) Swing
 > regularly sends two or more full pixmap copies of the window per redraw
 > thanks to the tremendously clever "double-buffering" scheme which all
 > Swing widgets use. This makes performance bad locally, but completely
 > unusable remotely, even over gigabit ethernet.

  Hehehe... that made it mighty unusable on the Ultra/2 I was using at
the time!  And at 512Mb of RAM (if I remember right!), that's
inexcusable!  I suspected that the plugable look & feel was a
substantial part of the performance problem.

 > So -- in a feeble stab at remaining on-topic -- I think that Jython
 > support for IDLE would be a good idea.  Unfortunately, there is currently
 > no reliable or well-performing editing component for Java.  If we are to
 > move in a direction on some common toolkit, my order of preference is to:
 >
 > * use WxWindows, swigging it for JNI and making the interface match
 >   wxPython
 > * remain with Tkinter, try to improve Tkinter support on Java

  I'd be happy to see either of these happen, but am way too tied up
to play with GUI stuff at this point.

 > * die slowly from exposure, impaled on rusty metal things

  I'd like to avoid this one, myself.  ;)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>