[Idle-dev] IDLE and Jython

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph@twistedmatrix.com
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:00:48 -0500 (EST)

*My* experience with swing cannot be adequately described in polite
company.  It is, to put it mildly, the worst-implemented (and near
worst-designed) piece of software I have ever used.

However, a good indication of how "well-engineered" it is: under X
(presumnably the native engineering environment for Sun people) Swing
regularly sends two or more full pixmap copies of the window per redraw
thanks to the tremendously clever "double-buffering" scheme which all
Swing widgets use. This makes performance bad locally, but completely
unusable remotely, even over gigabit ethernet.

So -- in a feeble stab at remaining on-topic -- I think that Jython
support for IDLE would be a good idea.  Unfortunately, there is currently
no reliable or well-performing editing component for Java.  If we are to
move in a direction on some common toolkit, my order of preference is to:

* use WxWindows, swigging it for JNI and making the interface match
  wxPython
* remain with Tkinter, try to improve Tkinter support on Java
* die slowly from exposure, impaled on rusty metal things
* fork IDLE for Java, use an overlay which talks to Tkinter and Swing

                     @ t w i s t e d m a t r i x  . c o m
                     http://www.twistedmatrix.com/~glyph/