[EuroPython] Talk list - different sorting

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu May 13 06:31:18 EDT 2004

Harald Armin Massa <ghum at gmx.net> writes:

> That said ... I imagined one of my customers reading the talks sheet,
> people from business. (Assuming they knew enough English) they would
> stop immediately ater "Design Patterns", if not at "Adaptation".;
> classifying the conference as "absolutely geeky" and assuming "I will
> not understand 3 words if I go there".
>
> So I suggest that we do just a resort in the presentation:

That sentence would read better if it didn't have "just" in it :-)

The tracks are in the order they come out of the tracks folder.

> put 2 out of (Business, Education, Science, Social Skills , Tutorials)
> on top
> put 2 others out of (Business, Education, Science, Social Skills ,
> Tutorials) on bottom
>
> Reading psychologie suggest that "casual readers" and especially
> scanners (which will be the majority on the internet) "read" the top
> and the bottom. Within one of the mentioned the probability that they
> recoginze more than 4 words is bigger.

I can sort the list alphabetically easily enough :-) Would that work?

Take a look now.

> Geeks anyway will dig deeper and find the more sophisticated talks in
> the middle of the list.
>
> AGAIN! I am not suggesting any rescheduling or priorization. I am only
> suggesting a more "common knowledge friendly sort order"

Thank you for even thinking about it!

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I'm about to search Google for contract assassins to go to Iomega
  and HP's programming groups and kill everyone there with some kind