[EuroPython] accepting talks and other smallish issues

Nicolas Chauvat Nicolas.Chauvat at logilab.fr
Sat Apr 10 18:26:44 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 07:26:52PM +0200, Beatrice Fontaine wrote:

> Good show! Thanks for dropping by :)

Since you keep encouraging me to poke around, I'll continue :-)

Things I'd like to change about the URL layout but have not since
I'm afraid to deeply break stuff :

- rename epc2004 to 2004
- rename 2004/info to 2004/tracks
- move 2004/tracks/talks/* to 2004/tracks/*
- move 2004/tracks/people to 2004/people

- move /conferences/* to /* or set up apache to redirect from
  europython.org/YYYY to europython.org/conferences/YYYY

If all these changes are done, we'll end up with

europython.org/       ---> europython conference and society
europython.org/2004   ---> europython conference 2004
                           redirects to europython.org/conferences/2004
europython.org/2004/tracks/zope ---> zope track at europython 2004
etc.

If I can get access to apache's configuration file, I'm ready to implement
this myself (including the temporary redirection that will smooth the
transition).

hmmmm.... after toying around with the "PloneConference Content" elements
a bit, it looks like that wouldn't be that easy to implement. Since we have
PloneConference Conference <--> epc2004/info
PloneConference TalksFolder <--> epc2004/info/talks
PloneConferenceTrack <--> epc2004/info/talks/zope
which means we can not currently remove a level without breaking things.

But if we want a nicer URL space, we can always use apache redirection
until the day we find some time to make a new version of the PloneConference
Product (which would try to put less constraints on the site structure,
maybe by relaxing the dependency on the catalog named ploco_catalog).

Oh, and concerning the old sites, it appears that 2003 is broken. It looks
like the talks database is missing.

--
Nicolas Chauvat

logilab.fr - services en informatique avancée et gestion de connaissances