[Email-SIG] which email package for Python 2.3 / 2.4 / 2.5?

Jason R. Mastaler jason at mastaler.com
Sat Nov 11 05:42:22 CET 2006

Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> writes:

> Hi, Barry.
>
> I'm working with a system that has to work on Python 2.3, 2.4, and
> 2.5 (and eventually 2.6).  It parses email messages and does various
> things with them.  However, it seems that Python 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5
> all have mutually incompatible email packages, mainly due to
> re-packaging and renaming.  Am I understanding this correctly?
>
> If so, it seems that the only solution is to ship one of the
> standalone email packages with my system, instead of relying on
> Python's built-in module.  So which one to ship?  It has to work with
> each of the base Python distributions.  I'm guessing email 2.5.

I'm not Barry, but I'll offer my $0.02 having already done exactly
what you're looking to do.

TMDA supports Python 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5, and bundles a copy of the
email package.  We are bundling email v4.0.1, which is the latest and
greatest, and is compatible with all three of these major Python
branches.