[Edu-sig] turtle coordinates: Y increase downards - as in most graphics API?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:39:07 EDT 2018

Hi Sergio --

Thanks for taking a look at the Q-ray coordinates!

You're right about many bridges to crystallography in this neighborhood.

​I'm part of a tiny subculture that came up with Q-rays in a listserv long
ago.

It's not that I'm the only one familiar with the ideas or that I'm the only
contributor, just I know of no one else bringing it to the attention of a
pre-college class, and I do that only rarely.

The connection with Python is a Quadray class is implemented therein.  My
friend Tom has them in C++ (see Wikipedia).

https://github.com/4dsolutions/Python5/blob/master/QuadraysJN.ipynb

I've also dabbled in a Clojure version.

https://github.com/4dsolutions/synmods/blob/master/qrays.clj

I worked with Quaternions a long time ago, to do a rotating cube applet,
but then applets became a deprecated technology, much to everyone's
surprise and consternation.

http://4dsolutions.net/ocn/oopalgebra.html

Kirby
​