[Edu-sig] K–12 Computer Science Framework -- k12cs.org

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:52:57 EDT 2016

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Wes --
>
> I'm in agreement with points 7 & 8 in:
>
> https://code.org/files/Making_CS_Fundamental.pdf
>
> i.e. the policy of making compsci courses count
> towards math requirements.
>

> NCTM has endorsed this approach as well, though
> maybe only luke-warmly.

- [ ] K12 Graduation credits
- [ ] Getting colleges to recognize said credits

The code.org per-state factsheet PDFs list a number of objectives:
https://code.org/promote

> The above paper,  Making Computer Science
> Fundamental to K–12 Education: Eight Policy Ideas.
> is linked from:
>
> https://k12cs.org/implementation-curriculum-course-pathways-
> and-teacher-development/
>
> wherein it's suggested high schools offer "specialized courses"
> in addition to AP CS.  That leaves the door open for
> some much needed innovation and curriculum development
> (what role will the teachers themselves play in that?).

Incorporating this curriculum with existing STEM curriculum should be a
priority for teachers with the flexibility to adapt their lesson plans.

Curriculum development with OER resources can be as simple as nested <ul>s
or as complex as {SCORM, TinCan, ...}

> Here's my main question:  will already on-the-job math
> teachers get it together to offer these "specialized courses"
> that include significant amounts of programming?

What incentives are there (beyond the obvious utility of CS skills in most
career fields)?

Is there #CSforAll grant money?

- https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/01/30/computer-science-all
  - $4 billion, $100 million, $135 million

- https://www.google.com/search?q=csforall+grant

> Example titles these high school math teachers might use:
>
> Hacking Math Class by Peter Farrell
> http://www.farrellpolymath.com/  (uses Raspberry-Pi)
>
> Mathematics for the Digital Age & Programming
> in Python by Litvin & Litvin
> http://www.skylit.com/mathandpython.html
>
> Doing Math with Python by Amit Saha
> https://www.nostarch.com/doingmathwithpython
>
> In other words, what public policies will enable / empower
> math teachers to shift gears and get certification to teach
> these specialized compsci-like courses?
>
> As a consultant to the Oregon legislature, and lobbyist,
> I'm keen to provide such opportunities to Oregon's math
> teachers, in part so we don't have to wait for an all new
> compsci faculty to boot itself up within every high school.
>
> That'll take longer than offering free professional devel-
> opment to the math teachers we've already got.  It's not
> either / or.

Class-central lists a number of online courses both in CS and in general
education. Is there yet a course for both which offers a certification /
micro-credential?

- https://www.class-central.com/subjects
  - "Computer Science"
  - "Education & Teaching"

- [ ] A k12cs.org MOOC would be a good thing
  - Self-paced would be convenient
  - Regularly held http://schema.org/CourseInstances do offer more
opportunities to collaborate with people working through the same material