[Edu-sig] Looking back on OSCON XVI

Kirby Urner kurner at oreillyschool.com
Sat Aug 30 22:14:16 CEST 2014

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Kirby Urner <kurner at oreillyschool.com>
wrote:

> In addition to Matthew, Kelly Hoover, Patrick Barton, myself, and course
> authors Steve Holden (Python) and Peter Scott (Perl), our school principal,
> Debra, manned the booth.

And of course Christian joined the contingent flying in from Sebastopol,
our Russian River area headquarters north of the Bay Area.

This was our first time to have our own booth at OSCON.  A common query was
how to sign up as a mentor, and that's precisely a topic for a company
headquarters meeting my supers will be at next week (I'm staying here in
Portland, but Patrick is going).  I'm hoping we can break it down into
temporary contracts attractive to people already doing a lot in their
lives, a way to stay in practice exercising inter-personal, not just techie
skills.

But then I don't want to bore edu-sig with a lot of company business, just
wanting to leave a clear record for the ages in a prominent community
archive.

I'll end with a link to my OSCON photo album from this year (my records
cover other OSCONs going back but not to the beginning, when it was the
Perl Conference.  I was still doing dBase back then.  :-D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kirbyurner/sets/72157645488715488/

Sigh.  I missed the Python User Group meeting in Portland this week, even
though I'm on the organizing committee.  We average about 40 per meetup and
have a really good meeting space (spacious) with lots of options nearby for
socializing more afterwards.

Look me up when you're through Portland.  I like meeting with other
edu-siggers.