[Edu-sig] Looking back on OSCON XVI

Kirby Urner kurner at oreillyschool.com
Sat Aug 30 21:51:36 CEST 2014

In sketching out the Python ecosystem in broad brush terms, is it fair to
say NumPy gets a lot of US investment whereas PyPy is more an EU pet
project?  Or is that too broad brush?

I sat at the i18n table at OSCON and mostly met up with other North
Americans, which can be plenty alien, and with Tatiana from Brazil.

Tatiana's dad is a distinguished professor who believes in strong
Portuguese literature, and Tati (as she's also known) became my ally when
it came to advocating for Python courses in Brazilian Portuguese, and not
necessarily translations exactly.  Sure there's a place for Business
English, but not as the only language of instruction.

That was a "booth topic" (one of many) for O'Reilly School of Technology,
with Matthew yakking in Russian, Japanese and Portuguese -- and English of
course.  He was our chief compliance officer during a recent chapter in
which we sought to comply with specific rule books, now closed, and this
was his first OSCON.  In addition to Matthew, Kelly Hoover, Patrick Barton,
myself, and Python course authors Steve Holden (Python) and Peter Scott
(Perl), our school principal, Debra, manned the booth.

Continuing with our i18n theme, two of my students, William and Natasha,
both alumni and Russian-speaking, did student profiles with Debra (a
standard video format).  I haven't seen those yet, nor the three-way
interview I joined in the camera booth, set up near to ours.  Those video
crews are kept busy with gig after gig and enjoyed getting a chance to let
off steam at Horse Brass when it was all over.

Holden had his OSCON Survivors Breakfast, top of the Hilton, where a couple
of the program chairs got to unwind and hear a lot of sincerely positive
feedback.  Good OSCON this year.

I'll close with links to my write-ups:

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2014/07/ramping-up.html
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2014/07/i18n.html
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2014/07/oscon-promo-keynote.html
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2014/07/oscon-2014-tutorials-day-1.html
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2014/07/scala-tutorial-at-oscon.html
http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2014/07/oscon-tutorials-day-2.html
http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2014/07/tutorial-on-nodejs-oscon-day-2.html
http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2014/07/more-keynotes-oscon-xvi.html
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2014/07/oscon-xvi.html
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2014/07/r0mls-talk-why-schools-dont-teach-open.html
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2014/07/oscon-xvi-wrap-up.html
http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2014/07/ramping-down.html

DjangoCon starts here in town any day now, today in fact:
http://www.djangocon.us/

Kirby

PS:  Pycon in Portland 2016, 2017 woo hoo!