[Edu-sig] Choice quote re OLPC

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 08:53:12 CEST 2007

Regarding a pilot OLPC project in South Africa:

"""
Q: How will the laptop be used in the formal context of the classroom?

There's no curriculum. There's no training programme. Teachers will
sink or swim. We can show them the e-Toys and other programmes
on the laptop, but when we leave, they're on their own.

 If the goal is to create a nation of scientists and engineers, I don't
think we've got 1% of that with this. Mark Shuttleworth with the
Kusasa.org programme is tackling that need. We're hoping that
workbooks and worksheets will come out of that. He's also putting
his money into Python and Smalltalk.
"""

http://allafrica.com/stories/200706180999.html?page=2