[Edu-sig] Mindstorm NXT and Python ?

francois schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Tue May 2 22:17:25 CEST 2006

Hello,

I've just read the open source move of Lego concerning it's new Mindstorm
NXT:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/press/2057/Open%20Source%20Announcement.aspx

The firmware sources and blue tooth protocols will be available. :)
This definitely interest me and I'll buy one as soon as available (in
August).

I didn't find anything about using Minstorms with Python yet but it looks
like there'a a SDK for Microsoft Visual Studio Express with VB, C#, J#, C++:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/coding4fun/lego/default.aspx

Even if Iron Python is not integrated  in Visual Studio (I believe), using
the classes with IronPython shouldn't be a problem (I imagine).
Anyway I'm not a fan of .Net/Mono and I'll probably try to explore other
ways .

I want to see what can be done with Python and this Mindstorms NXT in
particular in an "educational/constructivist" context.

If you know any projects already using Python and the actual Mindstorms I'm
also interested or your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks

francois