[Edu-sig] re: Python Programming: An Introduction to ComputerScience

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Thu Dec 18 13:43:49 EST 2003

I dunno Arthur -- doesn't seem a cut and dried an issue to me.

Open source is a relatively recent phenomenon and until recently, just about
any language learning was going to involve using some commercial brand of
licensed software.  Oft times, it was a university that was the licensee, so
students didn't have a sense of paying for it (separately), but that was
before PCs came along.

Was it outrageous to be teaching Unix shell programming before Linux?

Java is likewise proprietary.  Do you have any outrage about public
institutions teaching it?

And I'm not sure to what extent the newest VB (.NET version) is actually
proprietary.  At least in the case of C#, the standard is open, meaning
anyone is welcome to write a C# compiler (which Miguel de Icaza has already
done, for Linux).

Actually, on checking the mono website, I see the VisualBasic.NET compiler
is already in development.
http://www.go-mono.com/mbas.html

Kirby