[Edu-sig] Pairs Programming in Education articles

Scott Durkin sdurkin@psd.k12.co.us
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:42:13 -0600 (MDT)

Jeff,

> Laurie Williams has written several articles on the use of
> pairs programming in education.  Look at the 'Publications'
> at her site:
> 	http://collaboration.csc.ncsu.edu/laurie/
>
> I plan to use pairs programming in the middle school
> programming club that I do as a volunteer.  But we will
> be using Logo this year, because I have experience and
> a good class syllabus.  Which brings me to my questions.
>
> Is anyone using Python for middle school students?
> (Pymid, Python Middle School list on yahoo, is inactive)
>
> If so, do you have a good syllabus for this age group?

I teach Python and other languages to 7th-9th graders (13-15 yrs old) in
the United States.  I do not have a syllabus posted, but it is close to
the combination of the two resources mentioned below.  (I wasn't aware of
Pymid.  I would be very interested in seeing a list of those in the junior
high level that are teaching Python.)

I use How to Think and Python for Non-programmers.  I have customized
the Non-prog source a bit at my site.  I have also created companion pages
for How to Think that include comprehension questions.  I don't think I
have those posted, though.  If you'd like, I could send them to you.  How
to Think is great!  So is Non-Prog. I have this stuff linked on my site
(see signature) under Computing.

Pairs - With 30 students and 30 computers they have to work together or I
would look like that guy on the old Ed Sullivan Show with the pie plates
twirling on poles (you'd have to be over 40 yrs old and lived in the U.S.
to grok the reference).

When a student has a question I typically ask the person next to her/him
what that question is.  This goes back to my elementary teaching days -
three before me - my students sat in groups of 4 and must ask everyone in
the group before asking me - that way, where I was in the room was really
where I needed to be - rather than answering something that I shouldn't
have even been asked.

Though students do work together, they must turn in their own work and be
individually assessed.  Teaching programming to these young students is a
blast.  As we all know, along with learning how to program students
enhance their ability to read, think and solve problems across the
curriculum.

I have had many teaching jobs over the decades, but nothing comes close to
the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction I receive when I teach this
subject.  It was nice to find a school that allows me to do this with this
age group.  Though there are six or seven junior highs in town, ours is
the only one teaching programming to its students.  I don't think any
programming languages are even being taught at the high school level here
(though, I believe one high school does CISCO certification - but they
keep losing the teachers of the class to the private sector.)

As always, thanks Guido!  Real programming for real kids!

Scott Durkin
http://www.psd.k12.co.us/staff/sdurkin