[Edu-sig] Re: "Killer Apps" vs. CP4E

Arthur Siegel ajs@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 20:39:24 -0500

> Kirby
>
> PS:  I don't give you Euclid by the way.  As far as I'm concerned,
> he's as much in my camp as in yours.

I'm not sure how we got into camps. So be it.

And yes I fear I'm contruibuting to sending things off track here somehow.

But I need to get a few more words out before I troll away for a bit.

What I tried to make clear from the beginning of my involvement here is that
don't consider myseld a serious developer, nor am I an educator.

What I am, and why I thought myself relevant, is someone who has  learned
a decent amount about programming, and exclusively through Python .

What's a decent amount. Enough to pull off PyGeo, no more no less.

When the the Guido's, Lundh's and Ascher's and others who are
participating -
guys who make their living and reputations writing code and building a
community of others who do the same - post up I am happy to move aside and
listen.

Ironically though, Python is probably too young to have been a first
language for
anyone doing serious development today - and that includes the leaders
of the Python community.

So I have a perspective about learning programming with Python that it is
hopefully authentic because thats exactly what I did.

And it is in this regard in which I hope to be taken "seriously" as a
participant in the discussions of EDU-SIG.