[Python Edinburgh] Training and IDE

Magnus Hagdorn Magnus.Hagdorn at marsupium.org
Tue Sep 3 15:26:32 CEST 2013

On 03/09/13 11:29, Bald, Glenn wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry if this has all been asked before, I am new. I am also fairly new
> to python and will be using for GIS automation.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good training course ideally either in easy reach
> of Edinburgh or in central London?
>
> What IDE's are people using?

Hi Glenn,
personally, I use emacs and am very happy with it. But if you want to
use an IDE, then I can recommend spyder [1] which gives you a Matlab
like environment. A lot of our python users use it, in particular for
data analysis. On windows you can get spyder along with python(x,y) [2],
on Linux it is usually packaged. You can also get it for the Mac.

As an introduction I would work through the online python tutorial [3].
Then, depending on what you want to do, find other instructions. Stack
overflow [4] is pretty good.

What are you looking for in a python course? I run a half-day intro
workshop which focuses on using python for data plotting at the
University of Edinburgh. This year I will also run an intro to object
oriented programming in python.

What GIS are you planning to use? We have people use ArcGIS, GRASS and
Qantum GIS.

Cheers
magnus

[1] http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/