[Doc-SIG] Fwd: New Transifex API

Marco Rougeth marco at rougeth.com
Fri Aug 6 20:17:52 EDT 2021

Hi there!

The Brazilian translation community uses Transifex API for quite a few
tasks and, the recently released version of it will break a couple of our
use cases.

For example, we have scripts that generate weekly reports,  where we can
see the progress of the week and the areas in the doc recently changed.
This helps us to keep track of our work and to focus on missing translation
sections.

Another example is a bot we created to send a random string to everybody
that wants to participate. It runs daily and, the best part is that for
simple or small phrases, the user can reply the translated version directly
to the bot without ever going to the Transifex website.

We have done all of that using version 2.5 of the official Transifex API.
The problem is that they've released version 3 of the API, which is not
backwards compatible with the one we are currently using. One of the
breaking changes is that in the new API, listing the resources (or *.po
files) is allowed only for maintainers of the project on Transifex. We’ve
confirmed this issue with their support:

Only Project Maintainers can add/remove resources, thus resources can only
> be queried by Project Maintainers and Administrators. So, if you grant
> access to this role, you will have access to that list.

With that said, I’d like to know if we can have someone from our community
promoted as a maintainer of the python-doc project on Transifex. This will
allow us to migrate to the new API version without losing our tools.

Cheers,
Marco.

---

Originally sent to translation at python.org. Thanks Shengjing Zhu reminding