[Doc-SIG] Brazilian Portuguese translation coordinate

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Tue Jun 20 16:27:32 EDT 2017

Hi, all!

Years ago we took Senra's excellent translation of the Python 2.4
Tutorial as a starting point and updated it to Python 2.7, and recoded
it in ReStructuredText.

It's published [1] and the main repo is on github [2]:

[1] http://turing.com.br/pydoc/2.7/tutorial/index.html
[2] https://github.com/ramalho/pydoc-br

Only the tutorial was completed, and I am not aware of a more current
translation.

While I revised the translation, I created a document with notes for
Brazilian-Portuguese translators [3], and a list of preferred
translations for the most important words [4]. This is important in
any group translation effort because different people will have
different opinions about terminology, and if there is no agreement the
result will be inconsistent and very confusing to readers:

[3] http://turing.com.br/pydoc/2.7/tutorial/NOTAS.html#notas-tradutores
[4] http://turing.com.br/pydoc/2.7/tutorial/TERMINOLOGIA.html

Feel free to fork the repo and take over the translation, Marco!

I unfortunately cannot help a whole lot now, but I will gladly answer
any questions you may have.

Thanks for the kind words and for connecting us, Rodrigo!

[ ]s
Luciano

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Rodrigo Senra <rodsenra at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> I did a translation back in 2001 for Guido's Tutorial, later a group of
> people (lead by the amazing Luciano Ramalho) took up the effort.
> In this link [1] there is part of the documentation already in Portuguese.
> I am no longer involved in that effort, but more information can be found in
> here[2].
> You can also contact Luciano Ramalho (Cc'ed) in this email, he might be able
> to point you to the person actually responsible.
> Cheers,
> Rod Senra
>
> [1] http://turing.com.br/pydoc/2.7/contents.html
> [2] http://python.org.br/traducao
>
> Abração
> Rodrigo Senra
>
> http://rodrigo.senra.nom.br
>
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 12:38 AM, Marco Rougeth <marco at rougeth.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Julien,
>>
>>> Welcome on the mailing list!
>>

>> Thank you very much :)
>>

>>> You can focus on translating the tutorial and library/functions first as
>>> it will be mandatory soon to get the language switcher have your translation
>>> [1], and gather the community as you're already doing (how many are you on
>>> the telegram group?). Are you aware of any other brasilian/portuguese
>>> translation initiative?
>>

>> We're 57 members right now. I talk to some older members of the community,
>> but none of them were aware of another initiative.
>>

>>> You can also create a github repository with your transifex synchronized
>>> on it as it will be mandatory to get the build bot building your
>>> translation. Don't hesitate to ask on IRC on #python-doc if you need help
>>> with the synchronization.
>>

>> This repository should be created on my own Github account? I'm just
>> entered at #python-doc (still configuring my IRC bouncer/client to stay
>> always on).
>>
>> Bests,
>> Marco.

Luciano Ramalho