[Doc-SIG] proposal: a process for solving the Python Documentation Problem

Chad Whitacre chad at zetaweb.com
Sun Jan 1 04:13:02 CET 2006

Laura,

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to clarify my proposal.

I more or less agree with you that mixing "logical" and "rendering"
information is "pure evil." However, the real world use case for this
documentation is that it end up in several rendered formats. My
suggestion is that explicitly identifying the most important rendered
formats will help flush out the true requirements for the base (i.e.,
"logical" or semantic) format.

On the other hand, I confess that I don't follow your suggestion that
separation of "logical" and "rendered" information leads to a plain text
base format, one without any markup. Why exclude markup that is semantic
rather than presentational?

Also, you hint that it might be helpful to define the problem itself
more clearly, and I agree. The problem I want to see solved is
Fredrik's: how do we cut the documentation workflow cycle down from 3-6
months to, say, 3-6 days?

chad