[Doc-SIG] partial rewrite of the "extending and embedding" manual

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Aug 12 19:07:04 CEST 2004

Bob Kimble <rjkimble at alum.mit.edu> writes:

> On Tuesday 10 August 2004 11:43 am, Michael Hudson wrote:
>> Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> writes:
>> > I've been heard before now to complain about the extending and
>> > embedding manual.  Some time ago I started a rewrite, and found it
>> > again this morning ;-)
>> >
>> > I've uploaded what I have here:
>> >
>> >     http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/toext/
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > Comments welcome.
>>
>> Noone?  Oh well...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> mwh
>
> Sorry for not responding earlier. I went through it immediately after you
> posted it, and I think what you have done so far is terrific. It encouraged
> me to look at the Python manuals. Now all I have to do is to learn C!
>
> I found it very easy to go through your steps and generate some C
> extensions.  There's no doubt in my mind that I could implement
> something simple using your manual in conjunction with "Extending
> and Embedding the Python Interpreter" from the Python
> documentation. I'd love to see you complete the work.

I would be REALLY interested if you tried to implement a C extension
and then told me what you ended up needing to look up in the existing
Python documentation -- there's no better way to find out what I
should be including in my document!

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Just getting something to work usually means writing reams of code
  fast, like a Stephen King novel, but making it maintainable and